Joseph Cattle founded the business in Hull in 1927. Initially engaged in retailing, its activities extended into weekly home collected credit as an aid to increasing sales as well as allowing his customers to spread the cost of goods they needed over a greater period of time.
- In 1963, Cattles listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- During the 1960s and 1970s the Group acquired many similar home collected credit businesses, establishing a wider UK presence.
- In the early 1980s this network of businesses was reorganised into one business under the Shopacheck brand.
- In 1990 the Group acquired Compass Credit Ltd and merged it with Shopacheck. This firmly established Shopacheck as the number two player in the home collected credit market.
- In 1994, Cattles acquired Welcome Financial Services, a monthly direct repayment business, from London and Manchester Plc. Cattles Invoice Finance Ltd (formally Reedham Factors Ltd) was also acquired at this time.
- In 1997, The Lewis Group was purchased and added to the Cattles portfolio of businesses.
- In 2003, the Group launched Welcome Car Finance, a direct distribution motor finance business. The business was closed in 2009.
- In 2009, trading in Cattles shares was suspended pending the publication of its report and accounts for the year ended ending the 31st December 2008 and Cattles Invoice Finance Ltd was sold to Anacap Financial Partners.
- In 2010, a Scheme of Arrangement was put to shareholders as part of a financial restructuring of Cattles Plc, whereby each Cattles share would be acquired by a special purpose Company, Bovess Ltd.
- In 2011, shareholders and creditors approved the Scheme of Arrangement, and after Sanction by the High Court, the Scheme became effective on March the 2nd March. In accordance with the terms of the Scheme, the shares of Cattles plc were then acquired by Bovess Ltd. Cattles shares were de-listed from the London Stock Exchange on the 7th of March.
- In August 2013, The Lewis Group was sold to Hoist Finance.
- In March 2014 Shopacheck was sold to Perpignon Ltd.